Wednesday, January 16, 2013

When my son was headed to Iraq as a 1st Lieutenant and acting a company executive officer, he asked me to pray specifically that he would have an excellent, experienced sergeant to serve directly under him.  You see, a sergeant is somewhat like an armor bearer.  He serves closely with the lieutenant, fights with him, advises him, and is a liaison between him an his men.  He is a very important person in the young officer's life. I prayed that Tom would be supported by a man like Jonathan's armor bearer who followed Jonathan out of trust and loyalty and stuck close to him even in the most dangerous situations.

Jonathan's armor bearer pledged himself to Jonathan "heart and soul" which I believe to mean completely, passionately, and not out of mere responsibility or assignment.  I'll share with you the prayer/poem I wrote in the margin of p. 15 of the workbook this afternoon.

Father,

Help me to love You with all of my heart,
following faithfully, never to part.
Help me surrender all of my soul.
Please take my brokenness and make me whole.
Help me to live each day seeking Your face.
Grant me courage to follow You any place. 

May we all seek to follow our Lord and Master "heart and soul", for He truly is the only One who can make us complete and wash away our sin with His precious blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment