Friday, December 22, 2017

JEWELS FROM SUNDAY SCHOOL - LUKE 2:29-30, 38

JEWELS FROM SUNDAY SCHOOL
Explore the Bible curriculum, p.41
Evaluate Your Emotional Response to Luke 2:29
Bonus: Simeon and Anna’s reactions compared


Luke 2:29-30 Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word: For mine eyes have seen thy salvation . . .

Susan: Simeon felt amazement, wonderment, and pure joy as he held his Savior.

Susie: There may be a feeling of relief as well. We do not know his age, but Simeon had been waiting to see the Messiah as the Lord had promised him for a long time.

Susan: Simeon could be content because everything he had ever been taught about and dreamed of was encapsulated in that human baby. He was holding the fulfilment of every dream and desire he had had for the nation of Israel in his arms. He could move on to the next chapter of living because he saw and held in his arms the living reality of everything he had been taught as a Jew.

Susie: By the power of the Holy Spirit, Simeon knew deep in his soul that this particular baby was the promised Messiah. After four hundred years, God broke His silence with the cry of His only begotten Son.

Susan: For me, realizing that God wanted me to be His child and Himself to be my parent, was humbling. I was speechless at the reality that Jesus was more interested in a relationship with me than His other titles as King of kings and Lord of lords. Having a Lord who desires what is best for me is beyond amazing. I felt wonderment and awe that the God of the Universe could love me that much.

Susie: Overwhelmed is the best description of how I felt when I realized I could come to Jesus just as I was, no need to “fake it till you make it.” As the baby Jesus rested in the arms of Simeon, the elderly man realized that he could truly rest in Jesus. Joyful, energetic, but relaxed in trusting Him would describe my emotions when I first came to know Jesus.

Luke 2:38 And she coming in that instant gave thanks likewise unto the Lord, and spake of him to all them that looked for redemption in Jerusalem.

Susie: Simeon was at complete peace and ready to leave this earth for his heavenly home, but Anna had a different reaction.

Susan: Anna had the same attitude of complete thanksgiving that Simeon had expressed. However, she was not ready to graduate to Heaven. Instead, she went and told everyone who would listen that the Messiah had finally come. The prophetess became an evangelist. She had a new zeal.


Susie: At the age of at least 84 years (maybe more), Anna found renewed strength when she realized the Messiah, the Son of God, had arrived. 

No comments:

Post a Comment