Friday, June 8, 2018

PSALM 119:65-72 IOLITE INVESTMENT




IOLITE INVESTMENT
PSALM 119:65-72
ט (Tet)

Psalm 119:65 Thou hast dealt well with thy servant, O Lord, according unto thy word.

Susie: God made many promises to the Israelites including the covenant with Noah to never destroy the entire earth by flood, the Abrahamic covenant to make his descendants a great nation and give them the Promised Land, and many other promises found in the Old Testament scriptures that would have been available to the psalmist. The psalmist had found God to be consistently faithful and true to His word.

Susan: In the God-Man, Jesus Christ, God continues to give a guarantee of forgiveness of and salvation from our sin, and the certain hope of eternity in His presence to those He has chosen, who have trusted in His finished work on the cross. He is still a God who keeps His word to His people.

2 Corinthians 1:20 In Jesus we hear a resounding “yes” to all of God’s many promises. This is the reason we say “Amen” to and through Jesus when giving glory to God.

Ephesians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

Psalm 119:66 Teach me good judgment and knowledge: for I have believed thy commandments.

Susie: As we pointed out in a previous lesson, the request for the Lord to instruct him is a common theme in Psalm 119. In this verse he specifically asks to learn about good judgement and knowledge, what we might call common sense.

Susan: He is requesting discernment and wisdom. We need wisdom, the ability to apply knowledge correctly. There is no one better to ask than the One who designed us.

Psalm 25:4-5 Shew me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths.  Lead me in thy truth and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.
James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Susan: God will never demean you for seeking divine insight. He will answer that prayer generously.

Susie: The psalmist has believed, trusted in, and obeyed what he knows of God so far and desires to know and understand more and more.

Psalm 119:67 Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept thy word.

Susie: Sometimes God allows a problem such as sickness or financial devastation into our lives to increase our trust and dependence on Him, to grow spiritually. Other times, we clearly bring troubles upon ourselves, yet those are still sifted through the loving hands of our Father.

Susan: A prime example of causing our own affliction is the story of the Prodigal Son (Luke 15:11-32). The younger of two sons demanded that his father give him his share of the inheritance immediately instead of waiting until it was passed to him when the father died. He took that money, ran off to a foreign land, and blew it all on fast living. Then he hit rock bottom and found himself, a Jewish boy, tending pigs! Ugh! He was so desperately hungry that he was jealous of the pigs eating their slop. He was so low that he could have eaten that slop as if it were a gourmet meal. When he woke up and smelled the pig filth, he went home in hopes of working for his father as a field-hand. We know the rest of the story—his father lovingly received him back home as if he had died and been brought back to life. His self-imposed affliction caused him to appreciate all he had thrown away and realize how far he had strayed. The psalmist had been under some type of duress that did the same thing for him. God used it for the good purpose of motivating him to make a U-turn and return to walking God’s way.

Matthew Henry Commentary as quoted at

God visits his people with affliction, that they may learn his statutes. Not only God's promises, but even his law, his precepts, though hard to ungodly men, are desirable, and profitable, because they lead us with safety and delight unto eternal life.

Susie: Often, when God allows troubles into our lives, it is the Father’s loving way of placing us back on the right path, the one that is for our best and His glory.

Psalm 119:68 Thou art good, and doest good; teach me thy statutes.

Susie: The psalmist praises the nature of God. God is the ultimate good and always does what is right. This man desires to learn from God that he might grow into having the character of God.

Susan: The psalmist asks God to teach him what is of true value and eternal worth.

2 Peter 1:3-4 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Psalm 119:69 The proud have forged a lie against me: but I will keep thy precepts with my whole heart.

Susan: Arrogant men were slandering the psalmist’s good name. The writer of this psalm was relentlessly determined to obey God with the entirety of his being.

Susie: He was not going to allow the words of men to cause him to stray from the word of God. He was completely committed to living out what he learned from the Law.

Psalm 119:70 Their heart is as fat as grease; but I delight in thy law.

Susie: “As fat as grease” has the sense of being thick and dense like lard.

Susan: He is calling those who slander him, those who do not follow the Lord, “thick-headed,” or as Susie and I like to say, “osmium heads” because osmium is denser than lead.

Susie: In Biblical language their hearts were hardened. They could not see the truth of God’s word, the psalmist rejoiced in all God had taught him through His word. God’s word lights the path to fulfillment and joy (Psalm 119:105).

Susan: The pursuit of God’s way enables the believer to live in everlasting joy.

Psalm 119:71 It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes.

Susie: I’ve heard many Christians testify that until they reached “rock bottom,” they did not look up to see the Lord. The psalmist’s affliction, whatever it was, drove him closer to the Lord and the wisdom found in His word. It reminds me of the poem-prayer I wrote the day I graduated with my bachelor’s degree:

Lord, please keep me on my knees
because from that position I can see
that You are truly all I have,
yet You are all I need.
Lord, please keep me on my knees.

Susan: I have finally found the good in the seven-year affliction of necrotic ulcers on both legs that family and doctors could not figure out. The enemy of our souls tried to kill me. However, if I had not had this affliction, the team of Susie and me might have never come to be. Therefore, today I can thank God for the affliction because of what He has given me in return and will continue to give me through the ministry to which God has called us together.

Susie: Throughout Susan’s ordeal, the Lord drove us deeply into the comfort of His word and the ability to find joy in our relationship with Jesus.

Psalm 119:72 The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver.

Susan: God’s word is more valuable than any earthly fortune. It is the ultimate priceless treasure.

Psalm 119:127 Therefore I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold.

Psalm 119:11 (CJB) I treasure your word in my heart, so that I won’t sin against you.


“What is your appraisal of god’s word? Don’t be like a candidate for antique roadshow with an item of infinite value just lying around the house. Use it. Read it. Study it. Put it into practice in your life.”

Points to Ponder:

·     God keeps His promises
·     God instructs us in His word
·     Afflictions can be for our good
·     No matter what others say, stick to the Lord’s way
·     Don’t be an osmium-head, delight in God’s law
·     Treasure the word of God above all else

Reflection Question

How many Bibles do you own? How often do you read them? Are they gathering dust or are you daily mining the treasures found in God’s word? How much time have you invested in memorizing Scripture?  Many of our persecuted brothers and sisters in Christ literally risk their lives to lay their hands on a Bible of their own. Do we dare neglect such an awesome treasure?!

No comments:

Post a Comment