Thursday, July 5, 2018

PSALM 119:97-104 MOONSTONE MEDITATION




MOONSTONE MEDITATION
PSALM 119:97-104
מ (Mem)

Psalm 119:97 O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.

Susan: Let’s define meditation:

American Dictionary of the English Language, Noah Webster, 1828.

MEDITA'TION, noun [Latin meditatio.] Close or continued thought; the turning or revolving of a subject in the mind; serious contemplation.

Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer. Psalms 19:14.

Susan: The psalmist not only reads the word of God and studies it, but he mulls it over in his mind constantly throughout the day.

Susie: I have found that the more I contemplate the word of God, really dwell on it, the more I appreciate and love this divine revelation with which the Lord has blessed us.
Susan: The word not only reveals God’s will and ways to us, but it is truly a love letter to His bride, the church.

Psalm 119:98 Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me.

Susie: The commandments are constantly with the psalmist because he has invested the time in meditating upon them, and as he said earlier in Psalm 119:11, he has “hidden them in his heart.”

Susan: The word of God through the psalmist’s investment in it, prepared him to withstand the assault of his enemy and emerge victorious against them because scripture is his weapon.

Ephesians 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

Psalm 119:99 I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation.

Susie: At first glance, this statement may seem to be a boast. However, he is merely stating that he has invested a great deal of time in the word of God, and as we will see momentarily, has been taught by the Holy Spirit Himself.

Susan: Immersing ourselves in Scripture makes a tremendous difference in the wisdom we take away from it by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Psalm 119:100 I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts.

Susie: “Ancients” is sometimes translated “aged.” The psalmist’s understanding and wisdom were firmly rooted in the Scripture. Being old does not necessarily mean having more of the wisdom of God.

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary
100. more than the ancients—Antiquity is no help against stupidity, where it does not accord with God's word [Luther] (Job 32:7-9). The Bible is the key of all knowledge, the history of the world, past, present, and to come (Ps 111:10). He who does the will of God shall know of the doctrine (Joh 7:17).

Susan: The psalmist was being taught by the most ancient of ancients, the Lord God Himself. There is not greater teacher, no deeper instruction. Therefore, Paul could write the following to his protégé, his son in the faith, Timothy:

1 Timothy 4:12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

Psalm 119:101 I have refrained my feet from every evil way, that I might keep thy word.

Susie: The psalmist lived centuries prior to the Apostle Paul, but verse 101 makes it sound like he was obeying Paul’s admonition, which was, of course, given by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. He was following the word of God closely, living out what he had learned.

Psalm 119:102 I have not departed from thy judgments: for thou hast taught me.

Susan: The Lord personally imparted divine truth via His word to the psalmist.

Susie: God may not have been physically, visibly standing beside him, but by the Spirit, He shed light on all the psalmist studied in the scriptures.

Susan: The Holy Spirit illuminates scripture for those who believe and choose to follow His path.

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Psalm 119:103 How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!

Susan: Honey in scripture symbolizes pleasantness, goodness, joy and prosperity. If you Google the meaning of honey in scripture, you will find several articles to this effect. One is found here:

Susie: The psalmist is not literally eating his copy of the Torah. However, when we speak the word of God, it brings goodness, light, and joy. Therefore, it can be compared to the sweetness of honey. Meditation on scripture can be compared to chewing on delightful candy.

Susan: In the big picture, even the parts of the Bible that seem bitter to swallow, are sweet because they are placed there as markers to keep us on the right path.

Susie: When I was a child, I had to take a capsule that I was unable to swallow. The doctor told my mother to open it up and put the contents in a spoon for me to take, but it was bitter; and I refused it. My wise mother placed the bitter medicine in a spoon but coated it with chocolate syrup. The sweetness of the chocolate made it easy to take the medicine I needed to get well. So it is with the word of God.

Psalm 119:104 Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.

Susie: As you study and internalize the word of God, your tolerance for sin in your life grows smaller. This is not that you become judgmental but that you are able to discern falseness in yourself and others.

Susan: When we know better, our desire is to do better. Our desire changes from our own motivation to the motivation of the Holy Spirit.

Points to Ponder:

·     Meditating on scripture brings wisdom and understanding
·     As the Holy Spirit gives us understanding, we are to obey the word of God
·     God’s word is sweeter than dessert but is to be our main course
·     A love of God’s word helps us discern between good and evil

Reflection Question: When I go to a museum, I prefer to go alone rather than with a tour group because I want to sit and take in the nuances of a painting. When I eat cheesecake, I take small bites and savor each one. When I bake, I enjoy relaxing to breathe in the scent of cinnamon. Reading the word of God should be the same kind of experience. Do you read through the Bible in a year but fail to slow down long enough to meditate on it? Do you see Bible study as a necessary discipline or a delightful delicacy to be savored?

No comments:

Post a Comment