Thursday, May 3, 2018

PSALM 119:26-32 DIAMOND DIRECTIVES



DIAMOND DIRECTIVES
PSALM 119:26-32
ד (Dalet)

Psalm 119:25 My soul cleaveth unto the dust: quicken thou me according to thy word.

Susie: Revival is another recurring theme in Psalm 119. Therefore, we have typed “quicken” (revive) in green each time it is used. The psalmist has some physical problems as evidenced elsewhere. However, here I believe he is saying he is spiritually dry. His desire is that the word of God will revive his spirit, making him spiritually alive and vibrant.

Psalm 119:26 I have declared my ways, and thou heardest me: teach me thy statutes.

Susie: The psalmist has bared his soul to the Lord, confessing where he has strayed from God’s path and/or expressing his determination to follow God’s ways completely.

Susan: The psalmist poured out his heart to God, wringing out the good, the bad, and the ugly. He wanted to follow God’s ways and asked the Lord to instruct and train him how to live out the divine destiny God had for him.

Susie: The psalmist was a poet and could obviously read the Law, but he needed the Lord to make it clear to him and help him abide by it. We can read God’s word thanks to our elementary school teachers, but we are truly in need of the Holy Spirit to teach us what it means.

Psalm 119:27 Make me to understand the way of thy precepts: so shall I talk of thy wondrous works.

Susan: When one truly understands the word as the Holy Spirit has illuminated it, then one is enabled to instruct others about the Lord. The Lord had the disciples go out in pairs so that one could encourage the other.

Mark 6:7a Mark 6:7 And he called unto him the twelve, and began to send them forth by two and two . . .

Susie: As believers, we are to be the iron that sharpens iron.

Proverbs 27:17 Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

Susie: We are to discuss God’s marvelous grace to encourage one another and to share the Gospel with those who do not yet know Jesus.

Psalms 26:7 That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works.

Psalm 119:28 My soul melteth for heaviness: strengthen thou me according unto thy word.

Susie: The psalmist’s soul was weighted down with sin.

Susan: His soul was burdened with every action and attitude that caused him to fall short of God’s glorious plan and purpose for his life. He realized he needed God to fortify his resolve to live in obedience to the word’s instruction.

Susie: Yes. He realized that everything he needed to lead a righteous life was written in the scriptures and asked the Lord to direct him to it and help him apply it.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Susan: He realized that his ability to obey the word of God was contingent upon the love relationship with the Lord that he embraced.

2 Peter 1:3 (AMP) For His divine power has bestowed on us [absolutely] everything necessary for [a dynamic spiritual] life and godliness, through true and personal knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.

Psalm 119:29 Remove from me the way of lying: and grant me thy law graciously.

Susie: The psalmist humbly acknowledges that he has lied in the past and needs the Lord to cleanse him from that sin. We do well to confess our sins daily

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Susan: The psalmist asked the Lord to instruct him with a gracious and gentle hand.

Psalm 119:30 I have chosen the way of truth: thy judgments have I laid before me.

Susan: He rejected the way of deceit and made a conscious decision to turn toward the Lord and His righteousness for His name’s sake.

Susie: The word of God is truth, but as New Testament believers, we also know that Jesus Himself is the way of Truth for He is The Truth:

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Susan: The psalmist made the effort to immerse himself, soak himself in God’s word.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Psalm 119:31 I have stuck unto thy testimonies: O Lord, put me not to shame.

Susan: The word “stuck” is sometimes rendered “cleave.” This makes me think of the relationship between husband and wife where God ordained, “Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh” (Genesis 2:24). God’s instructions should be an intimate part of who we are and whose we are.

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible as found at http://biblehub.com/psalms/119-31.htm


I have stuck unto thy testimonies   The word of God, the Scriptures of truth, and the doctrines contained in them. These he closely adhered to, was glued unto them as it were; having firmly believed them, he steadfastly professed them; nor could he be moved from them by any temptations whatever, notwithstanding the reproach cast upon them and him for their sake, or the opposition made unto them;

O Lord, put me not to shame: or let me not be ashamed of the choice I have made, of the testimonies I adhere unto, of my hope and confidence in the Lord and his word; or suffer me not to do anything, any sinful action, that may expose me to shame and contempt.

Susie: Sticking like glue to following God’s word, His plan for human life, will enable a person to avoid shameful behavior (go back to Psalm 119:9).

Susan: The word infuses a person with the ability to reject the way of evil and to guard the way of godliness/righteousness with all diligence.

Psalm 119:32 I will run the way of thy commandments, when thou shalt enlarge my heart.

Susan: To “run” in this context is to live one’s life in a way that is honoring to God. It has nothing to do with our limbs (the ones I am missing). I can run the course God has set before me with or without my legs! Even though I never had control of my legs, the Lord enabled my heart to run after His heart with each decision I made to follow the instructions in His word.

1 Corinthians 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

Hebrews 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us . . .

2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

Points to Ponder:

·     God’s word revives us
·     The word strengthens those who repent
·     God’s word is the truth that directs us
·     We are to be intimately acquainted with God’s word
·     God enables us to run the race for Him

Reflection Question: The first time I (Susie) walked in a 5K event, I had to stop and lean on a wall halfway through. However, I had trained and prepared myself, so I continued to the finish line after a brief rest and water break. How is your spiritual race going? Do you need to stop for some Bread of Life and Living Water in order to produce Fruit of the Spirit? Do you need to revive your intimacy with Jesus by becoming more intimate with His word? Take a moment to evaluate the direction you have been going in life lately in light of the directives found in the Bible.


No comments:

Post a Comment