Thursday, May 24, 2018

PSALM 119:49-56 GARNET GRACE

GARNET GRACE
PSALM 119:49-56
ז (Zayin)

Psalm 119:49 Remember the word unto thy servant, upon which thou hast caused me to hope.

Psalm 119:49 (CJB)      Remember your promise to your servant, through which you have given me hope.

Susan: Since scripture does not say who the earthly author of this psalm is, we do not know if he was referring to a specific promise or to the covenant established with Abraham and Sarah.

Susie: The psalmist built his hope on the promise of God who is always faithful to keep His word. This hope was an anticipation that God would bring the promise He made to fruition.

Psalm 119:50 This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.

Susan: The promises of God gave him security in the midst of the trials. God’s truth revitalized him, giving him the strength that he needed to persevere in whatever he was going through. He trusted that the Lord was walking through the difficulties with him, and they were certain to make it to the other side together.

Psalm 119:51 The proud have had me greatly in derision: yet have I not declined from thy law.

Susie: The psalmist was being ridiculed, possibly because he was in difficulty—physical illness or some other trial—and seemingly forsaken by his God. However, he did not let their taunts take root in him. Rather, he clung to the word of God and continued to obey the Lord’s instructions. He was determined to walk God’s way despite their scorn.

Susan: The psalmist continued his tenacious, unwavering pursuit of God despite whatever form the opposition took. The word and the psalmist’s relationship to God was his arsenal, the weaponry that kept him secure.

Psalm 119:52 I remembered thy judgments of old, O Lord; and have comforted myself.

Susie: He knew the history of Israel and remembered the times the Lord had pronounced judgement on those who opposed His people. He knew God to be a fair and righteous judge which brought him comfort when wicked men reviled him.

Susan: The men taunting him may have done so strictly because he was a child of God.

Psalm 119:53 Horror hath taken hold upon me because of the wicked that forsake thy law.

Psalm 119:53 (AMPC) Burning indignation, terror, and sadness seize upon me because of the wicked, who forsake Your law.

Susie: The psalmist was indignant, disdainful toward the actions of those who totally turned their backs on God’s instructions. These are not people who merely sin as we all do but those who purposely, continually, completely oppose all that God has commanded.

Susan: The psalmist rejected the defectors, those who were aware of God’s commands but chose to abandon them totally.

Susie: He is at the same time filled with righteous rage toward them and sorrow because he knows their end is destruction.


Psalm 119:54 Thy statutes have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage.

Susie: Susan is letting me take this one since I’m the one with a degree in Music Education, LOL. One of the best ways to memorize anything, especially scripture, is to sing it. As the psalmist journeyed through life, he set the word of God to music and sang it in order to remember the Law and to keep it ever in his mind.

Susan: David continually kept praise in his mouth while taunts and accusations swirled all around him like poisonous darts.

Psalm 34:1 I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.

Susie: This is true of the author of Psalm 71 as well:

Psalm 71:13-14 Let them be confounded and consumed that are adversaries to my soul; let them be covered with reproach and dishonour that seek my hurt. But I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee more and more.

Susie: Paul and Silas knew the comfort and power that singing about the Lord brought and sang even while imprisoned:

Acts 16:25 And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.

Psalm 119:55 I have remembered thy name, O Lord, in the night, and have kept thy law.

Susan: While the psalmist is about to drift off to slumberland, the Lord is able to run a tickertape of His word through his mind   because he has internalized God’s word in his heart during his waking hours.

Susie: Another psalm expresses this idea of God’s word playing in the mind even as one is about to go to sleep:

Psalm 63:5-7 My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips: When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches. Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice..

Psalm 119:56 This I had, because I kept thy precepts.

Psalm 119:56 (CSB) This is my practice: I obey your precepts.

Susan: The psalmist has made obedience to God’s word his way of life. Scripture is his instruction manual for living God’s way.

Susie: The psalmist makes a conscientious effort to walk in the way and will of the Lord daily.

Points to Ponder:

·     We can place our hope on God’s promises found in the Bible
·     Scripture comforts us
·     We must remain true to God’s word even when ridiculed for it
·     We should sing God’s word to praise Him and remember His instructions
·     As we internalize scripture, the Lord can bring it to mind even in the middle of the night

Reflection Question: The psalmist made a practice of singing the word of God. You may have more scripture memorized than you realize such as:

·     “Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say, rejoice” (Philippians 4:4)
·     “He who began a good work in me. . .” (Philippians 1:9)
·     “O clap your hands, all ye people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph” (Psalm 47:1)
·     “The joy of the Lord is my strength” (Nehemiah 8:10)

You may be able to list others. Sing them regularly as you do housework. Pay attention to which songs on the radio, your IPod, or in your worship services are direct quotes from the Bible. Memorize those songs. By doing so, you will be internalizing God’s word; and you will be blessed. This will help you to regularly reflect on God’s grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment