Friday, September 22, 2017

SUSAN'S TESTIMONY OF INTERRUPTION

On this blog, we plan to study Jonah verse by verse in our ping-pong discussion style and will not necessarily be following the Priscilla Shirer study. However, we may share insights we received from her study along the way, giving her credit as we do. We encourage you to purchase the study guide for Jonah: Navigating a Life Interrupted. If you study with Priscilla and with us, you will come away with a well-rounded view of the life of Jonah and what the Lord would have you apply in your life. In keeping with Priscilla’s theme, we will each share a testimony of a time when the Lord intervened in our lives to change our direction.


Susan: The Lord called me to ministry in 1982 while I was still living at the Bob Hope High School in Port Arthur, Texas. After graduation, I moved to Tulsa, Oklahoma to pursue a degree in English to prepare me for a career in writing. However, God interrupted my plans. When I received my class schedule, instead of ENG, it had written on it ENG-BIB for English Bible. Immediately after my first English class, I aimed my power chair toward the registrar’s office to have this mistake corrected. I heard the Lord say, “I have you right where I want you and where I need you.” I looked around to see if there was a person nearby who had said that. There was not. I said aloud, “Come again?!” Then to myself I thought, “I hope God knows what He’s doing! I’m a woman and ministry is a boys’ club.” Ultimately, I obeyed God and did not ask the registrar to change the major even though I was confused about God’s plans. Why would He choose a woman with cerebral palsy in a power chair to represent Him as His megaphone? It still floors me. By His power, God enabled me to graduate with a Bachelor’s degree in English Bible with minors in Modern Hebrew and Pastoral Counseling.  The Lord kept me at Oral Roberts University to complete a Master’s degree in Biblical Literature. After many interruptions that I thought were keeping me from fulfilling my calling, I am now President of Precious Jewels Ministries, Inc. When Susie shares her testimony tomorrow, you will see how the Lord intervened to bring that about. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment