Saturday, September 23, 2017

SUSIE'S TESTIMONY OF BEING INTERRUPTED

Susie: I was my mom’s full-time caregiver for six years until she went to be with Jesus on April 30, 2014. My plans were to get a good job, have my own place, and do exactly what I pleased—be more active in the local church, work out and swim on a regular basis, bake all my own bread, and go out with friends. First interruption was that I could not find a full-time job. I had no desire to go back to teaching elementary school, but you would think an M.Ed. and seven years in accounts receivable would get you somewhere. I thought I was being called to be a hospice or hospital chaplain and even went forward in church to declare this. Then I was asked to transcribe for Susan as she did sermon background research for our pastor. I saw this as a temporary arrangement until I got a full-time “real” job. As we began to work together, I realized I could help her develop a web-site and write a book. Eventually, she suggested that we could get more work done if we were roommates. My initial reaction was, “No way! Not unless you hired someone to take care of you. Not going to be a full-time caregiver ever again!” She later shared with me that her uncle asked why we didn’t move in together and she told him that would take a “parting of the Red Sea miracle.” You know the rest of that story and mine as well. Just as the Lord parted the sea for the Israelites, He changed my heart and mind toward working with and caring for Susan. I cannot even tell you the moment I turned around and realized the Lord was truly calling me to be a co-minister with Susan. I just gradually realized that I NEEDED to bring her home with me. The Lord has blessed us in so many ways since we became roomies. Are there still difficult aspects to rooming with someone with “special needs?” Yes, of course. But God has enabled us to reach people all over the world via our blogs. We would not have time to accomplish all we do if I were only able to spend a few hours a week with her. God just had to redirect me from chaplaincy to being Vice-President/Secretary of Precious Jewels Ministries and Susan’s “tater” (short for facilitator)!

No comments:

Post a Comment